Friday, July 30, 2010

Elk Farm

So on our way up to Yellowstone we stopped in Whitney, ID where my Uncle Eldon lives. He's actually by great uncle, cause he's my grandma's brother. :D but he owns an elk farm and we always love to stop and see the elk. We really wanted to stop so Isaiah's sister Kara and her family could see them, and so the kids could see them too. It was really neat to see all the big bulls that he's got this year, he sai one of them could reach over 500 points, and that was 2 weeks ago! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Isaiah has always wondered what my Uncle Eldon does with the antlers when he cuts the antlers off in the winter before he lets them fall off. Cause he's got loads of antlers in his back shed and such too, well I finally asked my uncle what he does with them. He told me that he cuts them off and then sticks the bulk of them in a deep freeze. Why you ask? He does this and send them to a 3rd world country where they grind them up and use them in medicine, because something about them have great healing properties or something or other..I can't really remember. But I thought that was so cool, and very giving.



The big bulls, he has smaller ones but they were farther away and harder to get pictures of.







For as long as I can remember my uncle has had a sort of domesticated cow elk. She is very good around people and you can pet her and touch her and even sit on her! She was bottle fed as a baby so she's really friendly. Kara's family really enjoyed that part, and we were even able to feed her some carrots. It as alot like a horse but better! LOL Kaylynn was a little scared but Riley loved every minute of it.






At one point she did get out, but all she wanted was the tree leaves to eat. It was kind of like rounding up cattle to get her back inside the fence, no harm done. :D

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Cute blog! I didn't know you had one. I am still LOVING my Mazda5 as well. Best car we've ever bought!

P.S. I sent you an invite to our blog so you can look at ours.